Brankley Cattery is the first cattery in the Borough to be awarded a 5 star rating
As of December 2018 The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) Regulations were completely revamped and updated for all business’s involving animals. All catteries and kennels are now given a star rating, 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest.
Brankley Cattery was awarded the highest rating of 5 stars by East Staffordshire Borough Council as of December 2018. We were the first cattery in the borough to be awarded this prestigious rating.
To achieve the 5 star rating we had to adhere to a set of strict requirements.
- The cattery must have 1 full time attendant per 20 cats kept.
- The cats must be provided with a design and layout that provides them with choice. This can be, for example, inclusion of raised platforms.
- Minimum temperature in the sleeping environment must be above 18 degrees.
- All individual cats must be inspected at least once during out of hour’s periods (evenings).
- Where more than one cat share a unit daily behavioural observations are recorded – especially any signs of stress or aggression.
- A competent person must be on site at all times.
- Units must be 1.5 times the minimum sizes stated.
- Each cat must have access to at least two raised areas. One in the sleeping area and one in the exercise area.
- A member of staff with a level 3 qualification in a relevant subject must be present during the working day.
- Ventilation must be managed, fixed or portable to ensure appropriate temperatures are maintained in all weathers.
- A choice of hiding places and different levels and shelves must be provided.
- Behavioural observations must be recorded daily for all cats.
- Designated on site isolation facilities must be available and must follow the same size and facility requirements as the normal cattery units.